Monday 8 October 2012

Travel - Bangkok, Thailand

That's right, I'm back...

I had such a fabulous time in Thailand, I really didn't want to come home. To start off with we had to get through the travelling to get there, which I thought was going to be worse than it actually was. It took us 2 8 hour flights with a connection at Abu Dhabi. When we finally arrived at Bangkok, (3 time zones later), it was pouring down but that didn't bother us as we knew that it's their rainy season. We got to the hotel and it was beautiful, the room was lovely, so big, just what we needed after a long 'weekend' of travelling.

I enjoyed exploring Bangkok, I had heard of some bad reviews from friends before we went but that didn't put me off. I had an open mind and actually quite liked it. My boyfriend on the other hand wasn't that keen. We visited some of the temples such as Wat Pho and Wat Arun. We also visited The Grand Palace which I really liked. The buildings and temples were stunning, something out of this world. I noticed that the temples had mirror mosaics in between the gold and coloured ceramic tiles, which made the buildings shine brightly when the sun hit them, it was beautiful.

We decided that the best way to get around for us was to take the river Taxi which stopped off at a few places, it was basically a hop on hop off service, I would recommend this as you get to see a lot in a short space of time!

Here are some of my holiday snaps, I hope they inspire you as they have me...

 
Wat Pho (otherwise known as Wat Phra) and Wat Arun were interesting to see. Wat Pho is one of the largest and oldest 'Wats' in Bangkok and is home to the reclining Buddha which is 15m high and 43m long. The feet of Buddha displays symbols of Buddha in Mother of Pearl.
 
Wat Arun, is one of the oldest temples that still remains in Bangkok. The Central Prang is the main feature and is covered in colourful bits of porcelain. It is known that the Prang is decorated with seashells too which had previously been used as ballast by boats coming to Bangkok from China.
 
View from the top of Wat Arun
We went to China Town too but unfortunately we didn't stay for too long as it started raining really heavy, almost torrential. This was my highlight of Bangkok though, seeing all the Tuk Tuks and the street stalls with fresh fruit and veg, and trinkety bits, it was really good. I had such a laugh that day with the rain and literally being soaked through to my underwear, we tried to dodge under everyones umbrella's and stands in front of the street stalls, but it wasn't good enough, the rain was just too heavy. Note to self for next time...If you go in September (Rainy Season) TAKE AN UMBRELLA!!

We saw these posters advertising Thai Massages on the way back to the River Taxi, We thought it was really funny and a bit misleading, I thought I would put it on here for you to see.
 
That reminds me, If you are going to Bangkok becareful when you walk down the side streets at night as we did go down a few dodgy streets, which (as a young woman) made me feel quite uncomfortable. They were pretty good though, all you have to do is say no and they will leave you alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment